Wednesday, September 10, 2008

CONTACT AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY

There are millions of Americans, and certainly I am one of them, who are so addicted to tobacco that the thought of quitting causes fear and anguish. At 60 years of age I have smoked for 46 of them. I know that aside from the cancer that smoking may cause it also raises my blood pressure and prevents me from being more energetic (or maybe lazy would be a better choice of words).

Also I'm tired of trying to get visitors to my home to believe that I have painted my previously white walls to an antique yellow. Actually everything in this apartment that was once white in now that same pale yellow including some of my clothes. And I don't dare wash a spot on one of the walls or I would have to wash the whole wall and as I have already discussed above, I just don't have the energy for that.

Then there's the cost of the cigarettes themselves. I often ponder what I could do with all of that extra money given that I spend $100.00+ per month for this disgusting habit. Hell I could wake up and find myself on a cruise ship sailing off somewhere nice. Or even better, get a nicer car. And when I see young people lighting up I'm tempted to pull the cigarettes right out of their hands and faces and tell them what's in store for them later down the line.

I'm a poor addict looking for real ways to stop smoking. And if you think that addict is too strong a word, but there it is, call a spade a spade. I know that I'm not strong enough to do it on my own, I've been down that road too many times, I NEED HELP.

If you can imagine, if we stopped growing tobacco and started growing real food we could help all of the starving countries around this world of ours. Or turn them into fields of solar panels and create clean renewable energy that would not pollute the environment and help the ozone rebuild itself. That's my opinion, I'd like to hear yours.
Mike.

No comments: